Boba or also known as Tapioca Pearls or 珍珠 (pronounced “zhēn zhū”) , these are the heart and soul to traditional bubble tea!
Rumors are that bubble tea was founded some forty years ago when a certain bored lady, while in a middle of a business meeting, decided to mix tapioca pearls into her milk tea. And ta-dah!! Bubble milk tea was discovered! Please do not ask why she had tapioca pearls with her during a meeting.. we are curious too!
Nevertheless, this amazing drink underwent trials and test of time and survive to date, to be one of the most popular beverages in the East!
Whip up a batch of boba at home and make your own bubble tea!
- 1 part boba (e.g. 50g)
- Sugar to taste
- 20 - 40 minutes
- Boil 300ml water (note minimum 6 parts water : 1 part tapioca).
- Put boba into the boiling water; stir and cover the lid.
- Cook over medium heat and stir occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Simmer with lid on, for an additional 20 minutes; add sugar to adjust taste
- Drain the water and ready to serve!
For added taste, keep the cooked tapioca in brown sugar syrup for additional 20 to 30 minutes. The brown sugar soaked black tapioca would level up after this!